In this episode, DJ Roger, and I talk about gaming from a Gen X perspective, ponder how many streaming services is “too many”, and admit that futbol is indeed life.
Acknowledgments and apologies
The part of the show dedicated to our Canadian listeners and followers
- I would like to apologize to the person on Twitter who just started listening to the podcast starting at episode 1 for the direction the show has taken
- I would further like to apologize for the ridiculous video version of episode 40
What have you been playing this week(s)?
- Roger: Days Gone, Star Trek Online, Fall Guys
- Brax: Eve Online, World of Warships, The Outer Worlds, foundation
- DJ – Terraria (last few achievements), Lawn Mowing Simulator, Powerwash Sim, NYT Crossword of the Day app
Topics for discussion:
- It’s back, and worse than ever! Our state has just re-required masks at all indoor facilities.
- It’s back but most of the public and the government just wants to move on, so they’re ignoring it. The chickens will come home to roost roundabout Christmas.
- Remote schooling is doing good at least this time around. Trying to figure out if I am being cautious or developing agoraphobia slowly. But hey: still haven’t caught covid yet! 🙂
- Gaming at “our age”
- I still have peers of a comparable age to me who no longer game. They just stopped in the late 90s. Freaks.
- I used to dislike MP games. Now even more so. But I am finding little gems to play along with my sons and we go hard on it for a few weeks like Terraria, Minecraft, and Subnautica for example. Games where you can set up controlled private servers locally. Wish I could do that for Covid.
- How many streaming platform subscriptions is too many?
- I currently subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime and BritBox and there is still a lot of material that is “officially” falling through the gaps. I couldn’t find any Ken Burns documentaries. However, things can always be found by hook or by crook.
- I got opinions about this! I fly my cable cutter flag very hard, but I also advocate filling in those cracks with nefarious means. We live in an age where everything should be on demand somewhere and it makes me mental when something isn’t streamable somehow. I still have Netflix, Prime(thanks to my wife’s crafting addiction), HBOMax (prob best value), and YouTube Premium (second best value). Still have an active Apple TV+ trial for next year which is nearly worthless.
What are we into?
- Revisiting the History of Middle-earth. Audible has a wealth of audio books that make digesting this complex lore a lot easier. Plus the pronunciation is spot on.
- Watching old movies. Anything between 1930 and 1990. Fed up with contemporary mainstream cinema. Franchises can be dull and repetitive.
- Ted Lasso (you can use this one too, DJ, since you’re responsible)
- Breaking the gaming news cycle
- Ted Lasso is my new spirit animal
- Electric car tetris
- Roadrunner was amazing.
What are we looking forward to?
- I’m in a strange place where I’m not really looking forward to anything right now
- Being left alone. Oh and I bought a second freezer.
- I like Roger’s idea more than anything I can think of. Cobra Kai renewed. I feel like I should be gardening more in my yard but it is so boring. Like maybe if someone filmed it and called it Gardening Simulator I’d be the best at it?
You can send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll read it on the podcast. A reminder that Beyond Bossfights is on iTunes, Spotify and PlayerFM and would appreciate your ratings and reviews!
Music by Michael Meadows
Voiceover by Alexa Rubinov