This month, I’m joined by illustrious blogger and podcaster Syl from MMOGypsy.com and Battle Bards. Syl gives us her take on some of the cultural differences she’s noticed within the gaming community, and we discuss some ways that language and culture can sometimes cause unintended misunderstandings.
What Are the Kids Playing?
The Force Unleashed – Brodkil
Definitive Gaming History
Main Topic – Language and Culture Differences
Questions/Topics for discussion:
- Has language presented a challenge for you in-game? If so, how?
- Has language presented a challenge for you while blogging/podcasting or otherwise participating within the gaming community? If so, how?
- How do cultural differences play into the way you blog/podcast?
- Have you ever felt excluded from the community because of a cultural difference?
- Do you think there is much of a difference in the way NA and EU players play/interact etc.? Or is gaming kind of a “universal language”?
- Is there still a difference between eastern and western MMO’s, or have the styles converged in today’s free-to-play themeparks?
- What are some things that everybody can do to make sure they’re not being exclusionary?
What Have I Been Up to?
Featured network show: Cat Context
None This month
Podcast: Battle Bards
Voiceover by Alexa Rubinov
#podcast #language #culture